The UCFS VP of Compliance will have ultimate responsibility for compliance management systems in the U.S. and UCFS international markets. Oversee domestic and international compliance personnel, controls, strategies, training, and remedial action to ensure adequate compliance risk management for United Consumer Financial Services Company (U.S.), UCFS Europe Company, UCFS Australia Pty Ltd, and UCFS Italia S.p.A operations. Develops and implements compliance strategies to maintain an ongoing culture of compliance within the organization. Advises domestic and international business units on compliance risks and steers business initiatives to maintain compliance from onset to conclusion. Owns and manages UCFS companies’ risk register to ensure appropriate framework for each operation. Establishes compliance standards and directs the implementation of correlated strategies to ensure effectiveness. Manages compliance management system to ensure it is effective and efficient in identifying, preventing, detecting, and correcting noncompliance with applicable laws and regulations. Officer of each UCFS operation to ensure effective communication of compliance issues directly to the Board on a periodic basis.
Compliance Management System
- Create and regularly update a Compliance Management System to assure compliance with federal and state laws and regulations
- Create and update regularly a Compliance Management System for each international division.
- Ensure enterprise-wide understanding of CMS requirements
- Maintain each Compliance Management System to ensure effective compliance
- Develop and oversee implementation of CMS strategy change during instances of noncompliance
Regulatory Filing Environment (domestic and international operations)
- License applications
- Annual Reports, license renewals and notifications
- Examinations and inquiries (CFPB & state)
- Assist Scott Fetzer Legal Department in complaints investigations (AG, Dept of Financial institutions, BBB, Media, etc.) and responses
- All international filing requirements (FCA, Companies House, ASIC, etc.)
- Reviewing documents (consumer, merchant, business agreements; business forms; disclosures and notices; advertising documents, other documents) each for regulatory compliance
- Policies, procedures, systems and processes of operating departments
- Sales and marketing programs and financial products
- Oversee enterprise-wide compliance training program
- Coordinate annual update and as-needed changes to ensure sufficiency of training
- Steer selection and assessment process for new trainings
Company’s Fair Lending Committee
- Schedule and conduct regular meetings
- Report on Fair Lending Issues
- Oversee compliance monitoring (audit) component of CMS and actively manage external Compliance consultants.
- Evaluate risk and compliance reports from Compliance Supervisor—recommend action
- Manage risk appetite within created framework
- Address with department management lingering noncompliance issues
Federal and state laws and regulations:
- Manage domestic and international regulatory environment to ensure ongoing compliance with existing and upcoming regulations
- Propose operational strategies to respond to regulatory changes, oversee implementation
- Revise forms, policies, procedures, systems and processes as needed
Other duties as they arise.
- Manage heavily regulated, complex compliance environment in the U.S., Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand, and Italy.
- Understanding of international regulatory environment, including specific filing requirements in each international market.
- Ability to communicate and manage compliance and risk matters remotely, collaborating with international divisions and outside consultants / 3rd parties.
- Strong decision- and strategy-making abilities.
- Ability to research, analyze and interpret laws, rules and regulations in the U.S. and international markets.
- Knowledge of FDCPA, FACTA, FCRA, TCPA, Consumer Credit Protection Act (ECOA, TIL, etc.), Red Flags Rules under FTC, FTC Cooling Off Trade Rule, FTC Credit Practices Rule, EFTA, state laws governing consumer credit.
- Must communicate effectively both orally and in writing in a clear concise manner.
- Attention to detail with strong analytical skills.
- Ability to organize work and complete in a timely manner. Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines; ability to work additional hours during peak projects.
- Ability to multi-task and manage changing priorities on a daily basis.
- Self-starter who will roll up sleeves and work with little supervision.
- Ability to work effectively with UCFS employees and customers.
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to understand and follow UCFS policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Proficiency with a computer, standard office equipment and computer programs, including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, Word) and AS400 up to 8 hours per day. Must have advanced Excel skills.
- Law Degree
- 7 - 10 years Legal and/or Compliance Responsibility
- This position operates in a professional office environment at UCFS offices in Westlake, Ohio.
- This is a full-time position, which is defined as being scheduled to work 40 hours or more per week. UCFS is open for operation seven days a week.